Monday, October 31, 2011

Jeremiah teaching begins

Yesterday I started my week on teaching Jeremiah and Lamentations. I've been so blessed this year to teach books that have allowed me to really see others' journey in their relationship with God. Psalms brought me into the communion between King David and God, Moses challenged me in Exodus in his journey of discipleship by the Lord and his ever growing confidence as a leader, and Jeremiah has challenged me to the core on what commitment and obedience to the Lord truly looks like. 

The above "wordle"....(you can make your own at www.wordle.net) is of the text of Jeremiah. I've spent many hours and read over that text many times and am only beginning to feel like I'm digging into it. 

One of the greatest things I have been challenged in is Jeremiah's call and his life's work is his obedience that went beyond understanding what God is doing. I like to know the "why" behind things. I like to know that what I'm investing my time and energy in has value and is producing something that will last. But God doesn't always give us that reassurance before he asks us to do something. This really stands out to me when the city of Jerusalem in under siege. Jeremiah is in prison and God speaks to him to buy a piece of property in his hometown. By this point in time he's prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem for nearly 40 years. He's seen it happen in his prophetic understanding, his circumstances don't lend to this being a wise decision and yet God tells him to. The text tells us he purchased it, and then he turned to God and asked for understanding about why he was supposed to do this. But, his obedience wasn't halted or even slowed by his need to understand. 

In my journey with God, I don't feel I've been so trusting. Even now, there are things being laid upon my heart, stuff I've been processing about for the future, but I'm wanting a bit more of an understanding that it might be worth it, that I will see good things come out of it. But obedience to the voice of the Lord doesn't come with a guarantee of results, the guarantee we have is that the one speaking is trustworthy and good. 

I hope to take some photos this week from class. I transformed the front of the classroom into a giant timeline and it's proving to be fun teaching this way. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for the rest of the week as well. 

1 comment:

jore said...

... There is something sweet about God's word, about His Truth and encouragement being spoken throughout the Body of Christ. Your Journey with Jeremiah seems very remnant of where I am sitting with God lately- only my obedience is more hesitant, asks more questions, has a few sarcastic remarks before I follow through. Thank you for your encouragement and sharing what you are learning.